City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an essential crossroads, located at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which becomes part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders showed up.
This became known as the Monocacy Trail or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or simply Frederick's better place with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally encompassed the Appalachian mountains (areas further west being challenged in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The existing town's very first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants likewise established a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later on, both assisting to found a congregation which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Important legal representatives who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known during the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That initial colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship space has become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its existing structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a local medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont ended up being important for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln apprehended numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also escaped from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for liberty. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later on the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, just below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Firm, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monolith made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace battled a successful delaying action, in what became the last significant Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise referred to as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his dad. He ended up being an essential naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley acted as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his better half Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the yearly Great Frederick Fair, one of the two largest agricultural fairs in the State.