City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an essential crossroads, situated at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being referred to as the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's much better location with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being contested between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The current town's first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's settlers also founded a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, developed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration route until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later on, both helping to found a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (developed in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an important market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Important lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen major churches.
That original colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship space has actually ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's City Hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American churchgoers in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a local doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln detained several members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise escaped from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek flexibility. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick also hosted several health centers to nurse the injured from those battles, as relates in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days in the future the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Roadway west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Services office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monument made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace combated a successful delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise referred to as the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Road west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union soldiers retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion home of his father. He became an important naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his spouse Mary Margaret Schley helped organize and raise funds for the annual Great Frederick Fair, one of the 2 largest farming fairs in the State.